CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 5, 2008

Other Magical Party Stuff


The invitation included this picture of a magician and asked the guests to come dressed as witches, fairies, genies, magicians, wizards or other magical beings and I put a bunch of glitter and sequins in each envelope.


For the games I chose regular old party games and gave them a magical twist:

Simon Says=Genie says (and whoever was the Genie held a blue glass bottle that my daughter broke a week later)

Freeze Dance and pass the parcel to songs with magic themes:

Witchcraft-Frank Sinatra
Somewhere over the Rainbow-Israel Kamakawiwo'
Magic-Olivia Newton John
Bibbi-bobbidi-boo-Fireside singers
Magic Dance-David Bowie (My Favorite!)
Calling All Munchkins-Muppet Wizard of Oz Soundtrack
The Witch is in the House-Muppet Wizard of Oz Soundtrack
I'm Flying-Mary Martin
Mahna Mahna-Muppet Wizard of Oz Soundtrack
Do You Believe in Magic?-The Lovin' Spoonful
Thumballina-Harry Nilsson
Three is a Magic Number-Bob Dorough (School House Rock)

I also had my husband (show name Professor Presto) put on a magic show. The twist there was that he did the tricks and then showed them how to do the trick themselves. I have never seen such an enthusiastic and believing audience! I really regret that I didn't videotape this, it was priceless. One little girl even came up and hugged him after he showed them how to perform the tricks themselves:

Chinese writing
floating scarf
levitating
disappearing penny
unpoppable balloon 

I tried to find them on you tube, but came up with lots of trash instead:(

Later one of the moms of a guest told me that her little girl was doing the disappearing penny and floating scarf trick for weeks after the party.

They also made magic wands using wooden dowels, craft paper shapes, ribbons, glitter, glue and sequins. 

And that was my daughter's magical 7th birthday party. I hope I can maintain the same quality and enthusiasm for my sons' birthday parties in the summer. They both want to do Lego Star Wars Wii and one wants to also include water games and possibly a surfboard cake with Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker surfing and battling with light sabers on top. We'll see!

1 comments:

Kirsten said...

Okay you HAVE to make that cake he described. That's hilarious!! What a fun party that must have been for all the kids. You're so good at this sort of thing.